We’ve talked a lot about hormones recently, so to round it off, I’m going to add my top picks of essential oils to help get things back in balance. You can read about dietary factors, lifestyle factors and the role of phytoestrogens in previous posts to get caught up on those things. Now we turn to essential oils and hormone balance.
My favorite essential oil blend for hormones is a blend called Clary Calm. It is a blend of 12 essential oils that can help manage symptoms of hormonal change. It comes in a roller bottle, and can be easily applied to the skin on the lower abdomen or on the feet.
Clary Calm can be used every day, or just during a woman’s menstrual cycle, depending on need. I suggest using it every day for support during menopause, for regulating the menstrual cycle, or to assist with fertility. For many women where symptoms that arise just before the period, or mild cramps occur during the period, they might just use it on those days of the month. I have known women who experienced immediate relief from menstrual discomfort when they used the roller bottle over their lower abdomen.
Clary Calm contains all the best essential oils for regulating and balancing hormones:
- Clary Sage – helps ease muscle tension, mood lifting, hormone balancing.
- Lavender – calming, supports normal hormone levels.
- Bergamot – emotionally uplifting, helps ease muscle tension.
- Roman Chamomile – contains esters which are relaxing and help ease muscle tension.
- Cedarwood – contains himachalene which supports normal hormone levels, promotes sleep.
- Ylang ylang – helps with stress, promotes sleep, phytoestrogenic.
- Geranium – helps balance endocrine system overall, calming, phytoestrogenic.
- Fennel – contains trans-anethole which supports estrogen production and lactation. Also calming for digestive system.
- Carrot seed – helps support healthy endocrine activity.
- Palmarosa – soothing to the body, supports healthy thyroid levels.
- Vitex (chaste berry) – anti-spasmodic, bio-identical to phytoestrogens, supports healthy progesterone production.
There are some other oils and blends that I see helping hormonal issues a lot. These are my favorites for keeping the emotions in a nice, even-keeled place:
- Balance – calming, grounding, eases anxious feelings.
- Serenity – relaxing, soothing to the nervous system, relieves stressful feelings.
- Elevation – gently uplifting to the mood.
- Citrus Bliss – uplifting, energizing.
These ones can be diffused or applied topically to the skin – or they can be carried in roller bottles in your purse already diluted with fractionated coconut oil for quick and easy use!
Sleep issues are a common by-product of hormone imbalance. These are my go-to blends for sleep support:-
- Serenity Restful Blend – contains Lavender Flower, Cedarwood, Ho Wood Leaf, Ylang Ylang Flower, Marjoram Leaf, Roman Chamomile Flower, Vetiver Root, Vanilla Bean Absolute, Hawaiian Sandalwood Wood.
- Serenity Restful Complex – lavender, L-theanine, passionflower, chamomile, lemonbalm.
I use in a diffuser and/ or apply to the soles of my feet before bed, and take 1-2 of the capsules. They work so well together. I find if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can take another softgel and it helps me fall back to sleep without being groggy in the morning. You can read more about these here.
For adrenal and energy support:
- Mito2Max – contains acetyl-L-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid, CoQ10, lychee and green tea extract, cordyceps, ginseng, ashwaghanda.
This helps with mental and physical energy and is great to take before exercising. I only take this formula in the morning since it can be too stimulating to take later in the day.
Getting hormones back in balance is a process and requires a multi-faceted approach, incorporating diet and lifestyle changes along with herbs, oils and supplements, depending on the case. Some people need some bio-identical hormone replacement as well – but I always believe that the best path is to start with the lowest intervention possible and work up as needed.